Tuesday 31 October 2017

Tamborine Mountain 2017

At each retreat, Queensland Scrapbooking Retreats takes a group photo and sets a challenge to scrap it. We were given the photo, a sheet of cardstock, a sheet of patterned paper and a custom made chipboard piece to use on the layout, with a requirement to use at least 70% of the material supplied. Normally the group photo is taken first thing on Saturday so we have lots of time to work, but this retreat it rained all Saturday so we didn't get to take the photo until 9am on Sunday, which made for a bit of a rush to make the 11am judging cut-off but I got there in the nick of time. 


The chipboard piece came as one large design but that didn't work for my layout so I cut it up into smaller elements. I hadn't brought my acrylic paints to the retreat, but I had brought my Color Crush powders. I coated the chipboard with gesso then mixed up the powders with some water to create a watercolour paint/wash, which I built up over a couple of layers. 


After doing so many relatively clean layouts, it was nice to finish up with more of a messy/mixed media piece. My background is a mix of gesso wash to tone down the bright cardstock, builders tape for texture, stitched circle stamp from Craft Queen and texture paste through a Scrapmatts stencil. 


I was very pleased to be voted second in this competition against a number of great entries. It's so interesting to see the different ways everyone used the same materials to create very different layouts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting, I really appreciate it!