Thursday 18 April 2013

Scrapmatts DT reveal - Love and Becoming a Mother

One of the things I love most about chipboard is how versatile it is, so I was very excited to see that one of the DT challenges for Scrapmatts this month was to show how you can alter your chipboard. I am quite happy to use my chippie raw but sometimes it's nice to dress it up a bit. Sometimes it can be as easy as cutting up the design so it suits your LO better. I have done that with the layered frame below in that I cut off a third of it, now I can use that part in another LO. I also cut the nested shape around the title because the original shape was too long, so I just trimed out some of the long pieces and re-assembled it.
 
(Removed for publication)
 
Techniques shown in the close up below clockwise from left.
1/ The underframe was painted black and left to dry. The top frame is painted with gesso. Once that is dry splotch/stipple on texture paste randomly over the surface (if the shape is more solid you can really create a lot of texture with this technique but because the chipboard is so delicate I was more restrained). Whilst the texture paste is still well, get a contrasting paint colour and apply this randomly with your finger. Sprinkle beads over the design then press them into the paste, this will also blend in the paint colour. Finally, glue the two chipboard pieces together.
2/ For the heart I painted it purple then ran the inner heart through my embossing machine. Dry brush the shape in a contrasting colour, the depressed areas stay purple. I also covered the nestled shape in washi tape which is a very quick, cheap and easy way to alter chipboard.
3/ I used the word scraplet raw because it was perfect already. The leaf sprays have been cut into three pieces from each stem so I could spread them around my cluster more effectively.
 
 
Scrapmatts used: CB8005 Layered Frame 03, CB1146 Leaf Spray 01, CB1199 Scrap Words 07, CB5018 Nested Shapes 04, CB1070 Hearts 03.
 
This LO was insired by the current challenge over at Once Upon A... Sketch. The theme was 'best day of your life'. I wouldn't say my wedding was the best day of my life, because I would hate to think it's all down hill from here, but it certainly was a fantastic day.
 
 
The other challenge for April was to create a project about mothers. I was initially going to do a LO about my mother but couldn't find a photo I wanted to use. I was then going to do a LO about my mother-in-law but as I was searching through my photos I found this one of my friend with her newborn. It was too perfect to pass up and why shouldn't we celebrate the achievements of friends as well as family in our scrapbooking? 

 
You can see I've used the Scrap Words again, I just love this new release. There are 3 or 4 different styles available in both black and natural. I have also used a frame which I loved but never had a photo which fitted before and some butterflies. The frame I have painted in gesso, then misted in three different colours before applying watered down acrylic paint over the top. The butterfly is apinted with acrylic paint and then has a gloss glaze over the top. While the glaze was still wet I sipped the edges of the wings in glitter to add extra sparkle.
 
 
Scrapmatts used: CB1199 Scrap Words 07, CB6041 Arch Window Frame 04, CB4008 Butterflies 01.
 
This LO was inspired by the fantastic sketch over at ScrapFriends. All those diagonals make it a really different kind of LO but I'm happy with the end result.  I kept the main elements but went on a tangent with the embellishments just because I wanted lots of fussy cut flowers. :)
 

 

7 comments:

  1. Two beautiful layouts Lauren. Love all the details.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous layouts, Lauren...love the colours & design of the first one :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just love the composition of the first layout. The circle frame is gorgeous and so too is your cluster of flowers. Beautiful.
    Love too what you have done with this paper range on your second layout. You did SO well with this sketch! Two gorgeous layouts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful layouts both of them - love the color combos you picked!
    Thank you for showing how to pimp up the chipboards - great ideas!
    Thank you for joining us at OUAS in April!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely lovely projects both of them! Such striking colours too! Thanks for playing along with us at OUAS!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE how you have used the flowers - they look fab....& absolutely, why not celebrate our friends as well...they're as much, if not more [cos we choose them] part of our lives!!! Great colours in this one, too---thanks, as always, for joining us at SF:):):)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely amazing projects, love your interpretations of the challenges.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, I really appreciate it!