Friday 9 January 2015

Pathways - Journal52

When my friend Amanda found out I was trying my hand at art journaling for the first time this year she suggested I join Journal52 on Facebook as well. They give a one word prompt every week and it seems pretty open. The first prompt was 'Pathways' so I've chosen to paint a forest scene and use one of my favourite quotes from Ralph Waldo Emerson: 'Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail'.
 
 
I found the perfect journal at my craft store today: A5, 80 sheets, 120gsm paper with canvas covers so I can easily alter them. I was so excited to be able to get started straight away. I learnt a lot from this first piece:
1/ I am likely to always go with literal interpretation of the prompts. I just don't do well with abstract execution, even though I love the look of it in other's journals.
2/ I probably need to update my paints and brushes. Most of these are years old.
3/ I don't like the look of my handwriting and it appears unlikely I will be able to make it a feature of my art like some people can. I had to re-paint the path as I didn't like my first attempt at writing the quote.
4/ This was fun and I really need to make sure I keep spending time in my craft room. It doesn't matter if I'm out of practice and they only way I'll get better is to keep creating.

2 comments:

  1. This is fantastic Lauren! :) I am so pleased ur giving it a go (& it looks awesome too!) I love the freedom art journalling gives us - no rights, no wrongs - only pure intuitive artistic expression and FUN! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, I really appreciate it!